In front of 60,000 fans in the London Diamond League meet, Kerr ran 3:42.66 min to beat Hichan El Guerrouj's record set 27 years ago in 1999.
Earlier in March this year, Kerr announced Project 222, an attempt to beat one of track's hardest and most hallowed record, El Guerrouj's 3:43.13 min mile world record. In typical Kerr fashion, he said: "It's time for that record to have a real go at it, and I'm going to be the guy to do it."
And he did it on 18th July! He etched his name into track and field history, joining previous UK legends like Bannister, Ibottsen, Coe, Ovett and Cram.
Both Kerr and his coach Danny Mackey are always methodical in their preparation, one of the reasons why Kerr always performs in the big meets where the lights are the brightest. Kerr won the 1500m world athletics championship gold medal in 2023, and was 3rd at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics and 2nd at the Paris 2024 Olympics in the 1500m.
So difficult to do, but both Kerr and Mackey almost always get it right. A big part of that comes from how they approach training and performance. They know that consistency is what matters most.
They know that being consistent compounds. It is not having one super workout now and then. It is putting in the necessary work that prepares Kerr.
While preparing for this, Kerr ran 2:42 min for a 1200m time trial at altitude, 5,355 feet in Albuquerque, New Mexico while being paced by Brannon Kidder, who also paced him in London. The last 400m done in 51.88 seconds. During El Guerrouj's world record run, he reached the bell lap in 2:47.9 with a lap to go (1209m).
Kerr says he "don't do crazy workouts or crazy mlileage. I just don't miss days. Consistency is my biggest weapon. I'll break any athlete down with how consistent I'm going to be training and just getting the work done.""The way that I get fast is stacking. I'm stacking years, I'm stacking days, I'm stacking months." "If you show up and put in the same level of effort regardless of how you feel, you're winning every day."
Sure he had 2 rabbits pacing him til 1000m. But he had to run the last 600m on his own. In those last 600m his 100m splits only varied between 13.7 and 13.9 seconds! Super consistent. One of the most impressive performances I've seen.
Have a look at his official splits.
400m: 55.3 seconds
800m: 1:51.1 (56.8)
1200m: 2:46.5 (54.9)
1600m: 3:41.4 (54.9)
Finish (mile): 3:42.66 min. WR!!
It's even more amazing if you look at his splits by 100m.
100m: 13.8 seconds
200m: 27.5 (13.7)
300m: 41.0 (13.5)
400m: 55.3 (14.3)
500m: 1:09.3 (14.0)
600m: 1:23.2 (13.9)
700m: 1:37.0 (13.8)
800m: 1:51.1 (14.1)
900m: 2:05.1 (14.0)
1000m: 2:18.8 (13.7)
1100m: 2:32.6 (13.8)
1200m: 2: 46.5 (13.9)
1300m: 3:00.3 (13.8)
1400m: 3:14.0 (13.7)
1500m: 3:27.7 (13.7)
1600m: 3:41.4 (13.7)
Mile (1609.34m) : 3:42.66 min (1.2 sec for final 9.34m)
https://x.com/_OwenM_/status/2078491974399574210 - watch the video
![]() |
| Picture from Letsrun.com |




No comments:
Post a Comment