Saturday, October 30, 2021

Can Exercise Prevent Memory Loss?


My son was watching me go through my Prezi slides for my talk on running next Wednesday when I came across an interesting article on the last page of the Business Times (below).

BT 301021
The author, a medical doctor was writing on preventing memory loss, about how when we find ourselves forgetful, we should not pass it off as aging.

He goes on to talk about how high blood pressure increases in mid life and this appears to be an important risk factor for developing dementia later in life.

There also seems to be a detrimental effect on our health if resting heart rate (HR) is high. The author quoted a Prevention Regimen for Effectively Avoiding Second Strokes (PRoFESS) study, where those with a prior stroke who had a higher resting HR than 67 beats per minute had an accelerated cognitive decline.

So a high HR may be considered as a risk factor for cognitive decline and dementia.

Wow, straight away I thought that this definitely serves as a huge incentive to keep exercising and keep my blood pressure and resting HR low.

So here's good reason for you to attend my Zoom talk on running next Wednesday (3/11/21) so you can keep exercising to prevent memory loss and cognitive decline.

Here is the link to register.

No comments:

Post a Comment