Tuesday, May 24, 2016

A Running And Glucosamine Article I Do Not Agree With

ST 240516
"The point of journalism is to tell the truth. It is not to improve society. There are facts and truths that feel regressive, but that doesn't matter. The point of journalism isn't to make everything better; it's to give people accurate information about how things are." Sebastian Junger.

I've never started an article with a quote before, but the above quote caught my eye and I feel it is only fair to give our patients and readers accurate information about how things are (even though I'm not a journalist. Don't get me wrong I'm not blaming the writer, I just want to present an evidence based view.

Not another running bashing article - that was my first thoughts glancing through the papers today "When running wears out the knees (ST 240516). This is under DocTalk on page B10.

I totally did not agree with the author on that. There is more than sufficient evidence to show that running does not wear out your knees.

The author's article also quoted studies saying that 35 percent of patients taking a regular dose  of 1500 mg of glucosamine sulphate daily can increase cartilage regeneration.

May I kindly draw your attention to a Cochrane review where authors showed that glucosamine was generally safe to ingest but does not help with pain. I've written about glucosamine back in 2010 and 2009. Go and have read if you're keen.


Reference

Townheed T, Maxwell L et al (2008). Glucosamine Therapy For Treating Osteoarthritis. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CDOO2946.pub2.

No comments:

Post a Comment