Thursday, December 17, 2009

Taking Stock Of Your Season


Most of you would have finished your races for the year and taking some well earned time resting, spending time with your loved ones and perhaps going on a holiday to recharge your batteries.

One thing I always did during the off season while I was still racing was to reflect and review what I did so I could learn from it.

Here is where your training logbook will come in handy if you have been keeping track of your training. I looked at how consistent I was with my training, where I slacked off and how (if it affected) my training and racing subsequently.

Most of us are limited with the time we have to train and even more limited with the time we have to rest and sleep. No prizes for guessing that having a family, demanding job, and training is time consuming. Be sure to look out for where and when you fell ill as this is probably your body trying to tell you that you need to rest.

All of us want to succeed when we toe the line for our goal race, but bear in mind this requires a different path for all of us. Did you feel tired or burned out the last few months? Over or under trained? What works for someone else may not work for you. The SEA games in Laos will have its closing ceremony tomorrow and I've seen different athletes achieve their results with vastly different training. So take the time to really reflect on your 2009 season; it will help make 2010 a better one.

Enjoy your off season, especially all our Team Singapore athletes returning from Laos and congratulations for a job well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment